For the first months I was with this man and his family I spent learning their language.His sister and the old woman, who I came to find out was his mother, were eager to teach me and to show me the way things were done in their household. I learned that the traditions of his people were similar to mine in that they were simple but they were drastically different in execution. His language as well was similar enough tat it was easy for me to learn but different enough that i had to learn new words for everything around me.



During this time of learning I saw little of him. He would hunt with the other men of the village, and go off for weeks at a time to do I never knew what, but when he returned he always sat and watched me smiling gently. His mother noticed this one day and leaned close to whisper to me that her son was quite in love with me, more so than she had ever seen him before. I shook my head and went back to grinding the corn for that nights meal.



Sister and I went out for our evening walk in the forest before it was time to eat. During these walks she schooled me in the names and uses of the different plants that grew near the village. I was fascinated by this and eager to learn the medicinal and spiritual uses of the “little cousins” around us. In my village it was only the men who learned such things. Few women knew anything more than how to assist the other women with childbirth.



So each day I learned more and became more attached to my new family. But there were still nights when I would sob to sleep wondering and worrying about my lost husband, children and family.



By the passing of a year I was speaking fluently and for the most part running the household of my mother and sister. The villagers came to me as often as them for medicine and I was feeling comfortable, even loved in this community. This is when he returned and informed me that it was time we made our own home together.To be honest I had spent so little time with him over the last year that I had forgotten his desire to make me his wife, so this announcement was quite shocking to me.



Mother and sister each took a moment to speak to me that night and reassure me that he was a good man and that he loved me. Most importantly I was to make them proud by creating my own home as they had taught me and by giving the clan many children to carry on the traditions.



With a great sorrow in my heart I went with him the following day to find a place for our new home. He chattered excitedly as we made our way through the forest and he showed me three clearings he had found that he thought I would like.Of the three I resigned myself to the one closest to the river and nearest to mother’s house, should I wish to go visit her. With a whoop of happiness he scooped me up and gave me a quick kiss then we went back to mothers home and he set about gathering other men of the village to help him fell the trees for our home.



The next months were spent with myself, mother, sister and the other women of the village preparing the logs and building the house. When it was all finished mother explained to me that this was my home, by tradition, and I was to run it as I saw fit. With a grin she added that should her son get out of hand I was free to kick him out on his rump and there was nothing he could do about it. I took those words to heart and smiled inwardly knowing that this was my home and no one could drive me from it.



One night, just as the house was almost complete, I was sitting at the fire resting with the other women when he stepped out of the shadows of the forest with something in his arms. The other women started to giggle knowingly and scooted away from me as he dropped to his knees and held a large bundle out to me. In hushed tones he asked me if I would accept his gift and become his bride. He then sat the bundle down and moved back into the forest. I looked at Mother in surprise and she motioned for me to open the bundle.



Untying the cord and opening the leather wrapping I found the most beautiful white doeskin dress. I stood and held up the dress, it started at my neck and fell to my feet and every inch of it was woven with intricate patterns of beadwork.I had seen other women receive wedding dresses in my time with the village but I never expected to be given one myself. Knowing the time and effort that went into such delicate beading I could only smile to myself and sit down nodding to Mother in acknowledgement of the proposal. I was still angry at him for taking me from my family but I could not turn him away if he truly loved me as much as the gown suggested.



At the next full moon we were wed. The entire village was there to celebrate with us. Mother and sister dressed me and weeping kissed my cheeks. The village elder preformed the simple ceremony that bonded me to this man.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



Blogger Template by Blogcrowds